St. Jude Thaddaeus Church & Shrine (Pakshikere Church)
Karnataka -574 146
Phone – 91-0824-2283001, 2283156
On the northern outskirts of the city of Mangalore is a small village called Pakshikere, which is endowed with the natural beauty. It is about 25kms… from Mangalore city. There is a place called Haleangady on Mangalore- Udupi highway NH-17. From Haleangadi 3 k.m to the east is situated the place- Pakshikere. It is still covered with forests. Its natural beauty is enriched with the multicolored and chirping birds. Even the national bird, the peacock is a constant sight here which fills one’s heart with joy. The “Pakshies” (birds) are plenty but an adequate ‘kere’ [pond] is almost missing except in the rainy season. Pakshikere belongs to Thokur village of Kemral Panchayat. This unknown and unheard village has become a popular Christian pilgrim centre within fifty years. It is well connected by roads and easily accessible with public transport from Mangalore & Kinnigoli.
About fifty years back there were only a few Christian families in Pakshikere and they were part of Kinnigoli parish. At that time, Rev. Fr. Jacob Lobo who had served as a secretary to the bishop was the parish priest of Kinnigoli Church. He was a man of vision and had the capacity to fulfill it. Prayer and devotion to Mary were his main strengths to accomplish his dreams. He saw the spiritual needs of these families of Pakshikere who were suffering on account of long distance to Kinnigoli. So in 1957 he thought of building a small Chapel there. But there was no place to build it. Then Mrs. Elise Miranda came forward and donated 3.5acres of land for the church. The plot was a hillock. In that plot he laid the foundation for a Chapel on 22-10-1959. He also dug a well and constructed a small presbytery at the cost of Rs. 15,000/-. Within a year construction got over. It was inaugurated by Rt. Rev. Dr. Raymond D’mello, the bishop of Mangalore on 28-10-1960. This was the beginning of St. Jude’s Shrine. At that time the place was full of forests and secluded. No transport was available. Travel was only on foot. However people were zealous to attend the religious services. For four years this chapel was served from Kinnigoli by Rev. Jacob Lobo and his assistants Rev. Clifford D’souza and later Rev. Simon D’souza.
Later seeing the zeal and growth of faith of the people Bishop Raymond D’mello by his decree dated 20th April 1964, erected Pakshikere as the new parish on 11-5-1964 and appointed Rev. Stanislaus R. Pereira as the first parish priest and director of the shrine.
Mass Timings –
- Daily Masses at 6:30 am
- Tuesdays at 8:45 am
- Fridays at 6:00 pm
- Tuesdays at 8:00 am to 8:30 am
- Fridays at 5:30 pm to 7:30 pm
- Every Tuesdays at 8:00am to 10:00am (adoration, Novena, Mass) and 10:30am to 12:00 (Mass & Novena)
- Every Tuesdays after the 10:30 am Novena till 1:00pm.
- 8:00 am and 9:30 am
- On First Saturday of every month there is a Mass at 4:30 pm (Sunday obligation)
- During the school vacation there is mass on Saturday evenings. (Sunday obligation)
- During the school vacation and First Sunday of the month only one Mass on Sundays at 8:00am.
Text Source: stjudepakshikere.org