Monte Mariano Church at Farangipet in Mangalore, is a church where the Roman Catholic festival Monti Fest was initiated by Fr. Joachim Miranda, a Goan Catholic priest at Farangipet in 1763. The Roman catholic community is still following same tradition of monti feast on 8th September every year.
The official name of the place is Monte Mariano- Mount of Mary. The Monthi fest derives its name, from Monte. It was here that a Goan priest, Fr. Joachim Miranda, started this annual new corn feast.
The statue of Infant Mary which is preserved in our chapel has an interesting history. It is from Italy. It was brought by a family in Nelyadi-Kerala. They wanted to donate it to a Church. Meanwhile they were told by some Mangalorean family that the feast of the Nativity took birth in Monte Mariano-Farangipet. And one fine day with the whole family they visited here donated the statue. There is a wooden carved statue of St. Francis of Assisi brought by the Portuguese and it is 480 years old. Nowhere one can see a statue of St. Francis holding a cross and the Bible in his hand. This shows the missionary life of Francis proclaiming Christ. It is a miracle statue.
Post Credit: Ashok Wilson D Souza
Special Thanks to Monte Mariano Church - Farangipet
Cloistered Carmel at Kankanady, Mangalore has the distinction of being the first Teresian Cloistered Carmel on Indian soil.
Saint Mariam Baouardy was of Lebanese origin by birth was born on January 5,1846 in upper Galilee. She was orphaned even before she was three and was adopted by relatives. The Carmelite nuns out of love and concern and admiration gave her work and shelter and whatever education that was possible.
Bishop of Mangalore – Marie Ephrem OCD of France (Who died in 1873, and is buried in Rosario Cathedral Mangalore), on his visit there expressed his desire to have a group of nuns come over and start work on the West Coast of India. MARIAM BAOURDY was the youngest chosen for this mission. Destiny thus directed her to India.
On November 19,1870 the courageous group after a gruelling journey of near 100 days landed at Mangalore port, via Madras and Calicut.
On their arrival in Mangalore the discalced nuns were accommodated at St. Ann’s Convent near Holy Rosary Cathedral Mangalore where they lived for nearly twelve years. In 1879 the site at Kankanady was purchased and foundation stone was laid for setting up the Sacred Heart Cloistered Carmel Convent at Kankanady. The new Carmel was inaugurated on March 19, 1882 to coincide with the feast of St Joseph. This Cloistered Carmel at Kankanady, Mangalore has the distinction of being the first Teresian Cloistered Carmel on Indian soil. Mariam Bouardy, who is better known as Sr Mary of Jesus Crucified, became the first novice of the cloistered nuns on the Indian soil. The Cloistered Carmel of Mangalore dedicated to the sacred heart of Jesus, has been responsible for establishing the convents of Carmel of Shembaganur, Carmel of Triruchinapally and Carmel of Hassan.
Mariam took the name of “Sr Mary of Jesus Crucified” and was often referred to as the ’Little Arab’ among her community. Comparing her life with that of St (Sr) Alphonsa of Kerala; many similarities can be drawn. In keeping with her vows, she was called upon to return to France and left Mangalore on September 23,1972. After a few years of exemplary holy life in Pau,France; she was sent to her mother land where she laboured hard to establish a large convent in Bethlahem, the place of Christs birth. She died at the young age of 33 on August 26,1879. The important convent she founded in Bethlahem, today reflects her greatness.
The cause of canonization started on 18 May 1927 and would culminate with the decree of heroic virtue on 27 November 1981. Sister Mary of Jesus Crucified was beatified by Pope John Paul II on 13 November 1983 and was canonized on 17 May 2015 by Pope Francis. She became the second Greek Catholic to be canonized a saint of the Catholic Church, the first being Saint Josaphat Kuntsevych in 1867.
Sri Shirdi Saibaba Mandir
Sri Shirdi Saibaba Mandir Seva Trust (R),
Lady Hill, Urva,
The Temple was initially started in a house in the year 1965. Later a new Temple was constructed adjacent to the house and was inaugurated on 20th April 1967 by Late Smt.Chandra Bai the founder of this temple in the presence of a large number of Sai Devotees.
A Beautiful Mixed Cement Idol of Shirdi Saibaba about 4 1/4 ft is placed on a 3 ft Granite Platform in the Sanctum Sanctorum of the Temple. A Silver Prabhavali behind the Saibaba Idol and a Silver Adishesha above the Idol is adding to the beauty of the Sanctum Sanctorum. 1 Silver Idol of Sai Baba about ¾ feet used for daily Abhishekam is placed in front of the main Idol.
Aarti Timings :
Large Scale celebration of festivals:
Temple Anniversary on 20th April of every year.
Text Source: saiamrithadhara.com
Photo Credit: Snigdha Kishore
This is a branch of Math of Sri Kashi Math Samsthan Varanasi. For more than five decades, these temples have been an auspicious and holy place for Gram Devatha Sri Venkatramana’s and Kula Devi Shri Mahalasa Narayani’s innumerable devotees living across the Globe.
Devotees and Kulavis gather here in great numbers to celebrate the main annual events like Akshaya Trithiya, Vaishaka and Karthika Poornima, Karthika Ekadashi-Ahorathri Bhajana utsav, Navaratri,(in Sri Venkatramana Sannidhi) also Brahmarathotsava, and Prathishta Vardanthi Utsava(in Sri Mahalasa Narayani Sannidhi).
Church of Our Lady of Rosary of Mangalore (Portuguese: Igreja Nossa Senhora do Rosário de Mangalore), or Rosario Cathedral is a Roman Catholic cathedral in the Roman Catholic Diocese of Mangalore, dedicated to Our Lady of the Rosary. It was the first Roman Catholic church in the Canara region.
Church of Our Lady of Rosary of Mangalore (Portuguese: Igreja Nossa Senhora do Rosário de Mangalore), or Rosario Cathedral is a Roman Catholic cathedral in the Roman Catholic Diocese of Mangalore, dedicated to Our Lady of the Rosary. It was the first Roman Catholic church in the Canara region. Historically, this was the only parish church in Mangalore reserved for the high-caste Mangalorean Catholics.
The church of Our Lady of Rosary of Mangalore was originally the church of the old Portuguese factory. It was built by the Portuguese in 1568. Oral tradition states that the image of the Virgin Mary at the high altar was found by the fishermen at sea; when it got caught in their net. It was later brought to the church and installed there. The church was the main centre of devotion for the Bamonn caste who revered the image of Our Lady of the Rosary on the high-altar. It was mentioned by the Italian traveller Pietro Della Valle, when he visited Mangalore in 1623.
The church was desecrated and destroyed by Mysorean ruler Tipu Sultan in 1784. Reconstruction of the church later began in 1813. In 1910, the structure of the old cathedral was demolished and the present cathedral erected in its place. The church of Our Lady of Rosary is the only church in the Mangalore Diocese which has a dome crowning the spacious sanctuary. The cross on the cathedral’s dome was traditionally lit every night to serve as a beacon for seafarers. The Royal stone emblem of the Portuguese King marking their landing at Mangalore lies at the entrance of the church.
In 1851, the Church of Our Lady of Rosary, Mangalore, was declared a Cathedral. In 1910, Henry Buzzoni a Jesuit priest started further beautification of the Cathedral. The formal dedication was done in 1915 by Bishop Paul Perini of Managlore (1910-28).
St. Aloysius Chapel, (Italian: Cappella di San Luigi, Portuguese: São Luís Capela) or the chapel of St. Aloysius College, is a Christian chapel in Mangalore in the state of Karnataka in southwest India. The Chapel is situated in the heart of the city on the Lighthouse Hill.
The St. Aloysius Chapel in Mangalore was built by Jesuit Missionaries in 1880 and its interiors painted by the Italian Jesuit Antonio Moscheni in 1899, during the Mangalore Mission in 1878. The Italian Jesuits played an important role in education, health, and social welfare of the Mangalorean Catholic community and built the St. Aloysius College in 1880, St Aloysius Chapel in 1884, and many other institutions and churches.
St. Aloysius College Chapel is an architectural marvel that could stand comparison with the chapels of Rome. What makes this chapel unique compared to the other chapels in the country is the beautiful paintings that cover virtually every inch of the walls. Bro. Moscheni from Italy is the creator of this master piece. One portion of the chapel paintings depicts the life of Aloysius Gonzaga to whom Aloysius College and chapel are dedicated. Saint Aloysius gave his life in the service of others.
The paintings of this chapel is preserved by a recognised board of the nation which maintains and restores all historic artifacts.
The temple of Manjunatheshwara on the hills of Kadri is a very beautiful and popular temple in Mangalore. It is said to be built during the 10th or 11th century. It was converted to a complete stone structure during the 14th century. The idol of Lord Manjunathaswamy of the temple is called as oldest of the South Indian Temples. It is believed that Parashurama who was living in Sahyadri, killed the kshathriyas who were cruel and donated the lands to Kashyapa. He prayed to Lord Shiva for a place to live. Lord Shiva assured Parashurama that if he performed a penance at Kadali kshethra, Lord Shiva would reincarnate as Manjunatha for the betterment of the world. As per Shiva’s orders Parashurama threw his axe into the sea and created a place for his penance. Yielding to Parashurama’s prayers Lord Shiva appeared to him as Manjunatha along with Goddess Parvathi and stayed at Kadri for the betterment of the world. As per the orders of Manjunatha the sapthakoti manthras become the seven theerthas.
This temple has Hindu and Buddhist history. Buddhism was practised here till the 10th century AD. But after the fall of Buddhism the devotion of Manjusri and Avalokiteśvara continued in this region. The Nath cult was embraced towards Buddhism and continued there Tantric Shiva tradition as well. As a result many Buddhist temples came in Hindu vortex. According to M. Govinda Pai this temple was known as Kadri Manjunatha where is Manjunatha relates to Shiva and Kadri is derived from Kadri Vihara which was Buddhist monastery of Vajrayana cult.
Text Source: wikipedia.orgPhoto Credit: Anantha Bhat
Karkala is well known for its massive 42 feet monolithic statue of Gomateshwara Bahubali, believed to have been built around 1432 AD. This is a male figure in a kayotsarga posture approached by a number of rock-cut steps. Veerapandya Bhairava Raja built this monolithic statue in his honor. A festival with all mighty known as Maha Masthakaabhisheka, sacred bathing of the statue with saffron paste, milk and water, held in every 12 years. During this period thousands of Jain devotees visit this place to carry out the Mahamastakabhisheka. This statue is an awesome sight and is the second tallest in the State.
The towering 41.5 ft. granite monolith of Bahubali, also known as Gommateshwara, is built on an elevated platform on top of a rocky hill, known locally as Gommata Betta. Gommateshwara is also known as Gommata, Gomata and Gomateshwara. The colossus was consecrated on 13 February 1432 A.D. by Veera Pandya Bhairarasa Wodeyar, scion of the Bhairarasa Dynasty, feudatory of the Vijayanagar Ruler.
Text Source: wikipedia.org
Photo Credit: Vinayak Jituri
St. Jude Thaddaeus Church & Shrine (Pakshikere Church)
Karnataka -574 146
Phone – 91-0824-2283001, 2283156
On the northern outskirts of the city of Mangalore is a small village called Pakshikere, which is endowed with the natural beauty. It is about 25kms… from Mangalore city. There is a place called Haleangady on Mangalore- Udupi highway NH-17. From Haleangadi 3 k.m to the east is situated the place- Pakshikere. It is still covered with forests. Its natural beauty is enriched with the multicolored and chirping birds. Even the national bird, the peacock is a constant sight here which fills one’s heart with joy. The “Pakshies” (birds) are plenty but an adequate ‘kere’ [pond] is almost missing except in the rainy season. Pakshikere belongs to Thokur village of Kemral Panchayat. This unknown and unheard village has become a popular Christian pilgrim centre within fifty years. It is well connected by roads and easily accessible with public transport from Mangalore & Kinnigoli.
About fifty years back there were only a few Christian families in Pakshikere and they were part of Kinnigoli parish. At that time, Rev. Fr. Jacob Lobo who had served as a secretary to the bishop was the parish priest of Kinnigoli Church. He was a man of vision and had the capacity to fulfill it. Prayer and devotion to Mary were his main strengths to accomplish his dreams. He saw the spiritual needs of these families of Pakshikere who were suffering on account of long distance to Kinnigoli. So in 1957 he thought of building a small Chapel there. But there was no place to build it. Then Mrs. Elise Miranda came forward and donated 3.5acres of land for the church. The plot was a hillock. In that plot he laid the foundation for a Chapel on 22-10-1959. He also dug a well and constructed a small presbytery at the cost of Rs. 15,000/-. Within a year construction got over. It was inaugurated by Rt. Rev. Dr. Raymond D’mello, the bishop of Mangalore on 28-10-1960. This was the beginning of St. Jude’s Shrine. At that time the place was full of forests and secluded. No transport was available. Travel was only on foot. However people were zealous to attend the religious services. For four years this chapel was served from Kinnigoli by Rev. Jacob Lobo and his assistants Rev. Clifford D’souza and later Rev. Simon D’souza.
Later seeing the zeal and growth of faith of the people Bishop Raymond D’mello by his decree dated 20th April 1964, erected Pakshikere as the new parish on 11-5-1964 and appointed Rev. Stanislaus R. Pereira as the first parish priest and director of the shrine.
Mass Timings –
Daily Masses at 6:30 am
Tuesdays at 8:45 am
Fridays at 6:00 pm
Tuesdays at 8:00 am to 8:30 am
Fridays at 5:30 pm to 7:30 pm
Every Tuesdays at 8:00am to 10:00am (adoration, Novena, Mass) and 10:30am to 12:00 (Mass & Novena)
Every Tuesdays after the 10:30 am Novena till 1:00pm.
8:00 am and 9:30 am
On First Saturday of every month there is a Mass at 4:30 pm (Sunday obligation)
During the school vacation there is mass on Saturday evenings. (Sunday obligation)
During the school vacation and First Sunday of the month only one Mass on Sundays at 8:00am.
The Gokarnanatheshwara Temple, otherwise known as Kudroli Sri Gokarnanatha Kshetra, is in the Kudroli area of Mangalore in Karnataka, India. It was consecrated by Narayana Guru. It is dedicated to Gokarnanatha, a Hindu deity also known as Shiva. Compared to the other temples in and around Mangalore this temple was built recently.
The temple observes many festivals. Maha Shivaratri, Navrathri, Krishnashtami, Ganesh Chaturthi, Nagara Panchami, Deepavali, Dasara, Sri Narayana Jayanthi are celebrated with traditional gaiety and splendour. It has worshipers from all over the world. The temples branches are in Mulki, Udupi and Katpady. In addition to idols of Sharada Matha and Maha Ganapati, life-size idols of Nava Durgas are installed in the premises in an attractive way during Navaratri. All religious rites are observed for the entire period. Tableaux form a special part of the festivities and are taken around the main thoroughfares of Mangalore. Idols are then immersed in the well-decorated temple ponds in the presence of devotees.
Text Source: wikipedia.org Photo Courtesy: Tanmay Sarkar
Kateel Shri Durgaparameshwari Temple
Kateel or Kateelu (Tulu/Kannada: ಕಟೀಲು) is a temple town in the Dakshina Kannada district of Karnataka, India. It is about 29 kilometers away from Mangaluru and is considered one of the holiest temple towns in Hinduism. The main attraction of the town is the temple of Sri Durga Parameshwari.
The holy temple is situated on an islet in the middle of the sacred river Nandini amidst panoramic scenes and greenery. Thousands of devotees visit Kateel every day to seek blessings from goddess Durga Parameshwari.
The temple’s trust also encourages several forms of arts. Notable among them is the Yakshagana, dashavathara mela which was started as an offering to the goddess. Currently Kateel has six Melas performing Yakshagana. During Dussera, Navaratri and other annual celebrations several sacred rituals like, Chandika havana, thula bhaara, veda parayana, hari kathas etc. are performed.
The Mangaladevi Temple is a Hindu temple at Bolara in the city of Mangaluru in the South Indian state of Karnataka, situated about three km southwest of the city centre.
The temple dates back to the ninth century when Kundavarman, the most famous king of the Ahepa dynasty, was ruling Tulu Nadu. During this period, there were two holy saints of the Nath cult, Machhendranath and Gorakhnath, who came from Nepal. They reached Mangalore, crossing the river Nethravathi. The place where they crossed the river came to be known as Gorakdandi. They chose a place near the banks of the Netravathi which was once the centre of activities of the sage Kapila. He had his hermitage there and it was a great center of education.
Hearing about the arrival of the two saints, the king came to meet them. Introducing himself as the king of Tulu Nadu, he paid his respects and offered them patronage. Pleased with the humility and virtues of the king, they informed him that his kingdom needed to be sanctified. They requested him to grant them land so that they could build a hermitage and make it a centre for their religious activities under his protection and patronage.
This ancient history surprised the king. He then came to know that his land was dedicated to Mother Mangaladevi. It was from these saints he came to know that once upon a time there existed a temple in his land dedicated to her. From their own mother he heard the story of Vihasini and Andasura, Parashurama and the temple built by them. The two saints took the king to the sites where all these historical events had taken place. They asked the king to dig the place and relieve the lingam and the dharapatra symbolising Mangaladevi and install them in a shrine along with Nagaraja for providing protection.
Kundavarman carried out the advice of the two sages. A grand shrine to Mangaladevi was built on the hallowed place. The two sages themselves guided and supervised the execution of the work. The temple attained special significance as Mangaladevi granted special favours, especially to maidens, who worshipped the goddess by observing Mangaladharavrata and got their wish of a suitable husband fulfilled.
Even today the two temples of Mangaladevi and Kadri, Mangalore have maintained their connection. The hermits of Kadri Yogirajmutt visit Mangaladevi temple on the first days of Kadri temple festival and offer prayer and silk clothes.
The city of Mangalore takes its name from the main deity of the temple, Mangaladevi. The temple was built as a memorial to a 10th-century princess of Malabar Mangale.
The history of this holy place is 16 years old. God choose Mr. Paul Rodrigues to be the founder of this Holy Hill on which the cross is erected. Right from his childhood Paul Rodrigues was close to God. He used to spend hours together in prayer and meditation inspiring others along with him. He used to spend his time in meditation with his non Christian friend Mr. Satish K. near Kadri Hill or on Mary Hill in Bondel.
In 1993 when he was in meditation he got a vision and a message from the Lord. He saw a hilly place with greenery all around it. “The place you are in search of is close to the highway on a hilly place. Go and search for it”. The power of the Holy Sprit took him to the Holy Hill which is on the left side of National Highway 17 that passes through Nanthoor crossing the Pumpwell circle. At the top of Holy Hill he saw a land of 6 cents and felt that this is the place chosen by the Lord.
The owner of this place was Mr. Devendra Anchan. His wife Mrs. Rajani Anchan had a dream of Jesus Christ after 3 a.m. in the morning. He told her “I have sent Paul Rodrigues to buy the land from you. You have to sell him the land for the rate promised. I will bless you abundantly. Tell your husband about this”. As guided she told about this to Mr. Devendra Anchan. He said that he too felt the same voice and the words echoing in his mind after which he not only sold his 6 cents land but also helped in getting other pieces of land one 10 cents and other 30 cents from other owners. Paul Registered the same on the date Jesus gave him 7th April 1994.
Paul with Satish went up the hill for prayer when even in scorching sun they could hardly feel the heat. While praying Paul received message from the Lord “This is my dwelling place. I will hear the prayers of all people from here”.
In 1995 on Easter Sunday when Mr. K. S. Chacko owner of the 80 cents land was taking a nap he had an unusual dream where he saw a cross raised on the top of a hill, thousands of people were praying at the foot of it. Many were climbing the hill and getting down from it. He got up from his sleep and stared praying, he got a message that God wanted the place. So he not only sold the land to Paul but also inspired Keshava Acharya to sell his land.
On 17th June 1997, Paul got a message from Jesus saying that “A cross has to be raised here”. He got this word of God. John 3:14 “ As Moses lifted the bronze snake on a pole in the desert, in the same way the Son of Man must be lifted so that everyone who believes in him may have eternal life”
On 17th July 1997, Rev. Fr. Lawrence Castelino S.J. who was the spiritual director of the charismatic retreats laid the foundation for raising the cross.
On 24th September 1997, as per the rules and regulation given to Bro. Bernard Fernandes a prayer group member the place was named as Holy Hill. The same day was chosen to be the inauguration day for the cross. Late Fr. Francis Rebello inaugurated the same at 5 p.m. with Rev. Fr. John D’souza parish priest Angelore parish, Rev. Fr. Louis Fernandes S.J., Rev. Fr. Pius Fidelus Pinto and other religious brethren blessing the same. While blessing the land, one question arose if it is possible to sprinkle holy water on the whole 2.42 acres land due to lack of time. But suddenly as if showers of blessing were pouring from heaven, the whole place was showered by the rain drops as long and the sprinkling of holy water ceremony went on. It proved that there was no doubt that God has chosen this place to be his dwelling place.
On 22nd October 1997 Paul got a message to fast and pray. Accordingly 17 members of the prayer group were continuing prayer after their regular prayers when all of a sudden at 8 p.m. rain started pouring over then and they were happy. One of then was feeling sick and did not want to get wet in the rain. At that moment Paul got a message “Jesus says I am giving you Holy Baptism so no one goes back”. When people were going back they saw the whole area dry except the cross and the place sound it
On 9th April 2004, Rev. Fr. Bonifas Pinto told ” If we go through history we come to know that Jesus was crucified on the cross on 7th April 0030 at 12 noon”. After 10 years Paul came to know why Jesus selected the date 7th April 1994 to be the date of registration of the Holy Hill. Immediately after this Paul purchase 116 cents of land around Holy Hill.
The peculiarity of this height is different. It has a unique natural beauty. The scenery is so beautiful that you start praising and thanking the Lord. From here you can see the whole city of Mangalore with a new look, 7 churches with all their grandeur and holiness. When Paul prayed to the Lord to tell why he has chosen the Holy Hill, he got this message. Ezek 17:22-24.
This is what the Sovereign Load says:
I will take the top of a tall cedar and break off tender sprouts;
I will plant it on a high mountain, on Israel’s highest mountain;
It will grow and branches and bear seed and become a magnificent cedar.
Birds of every kind will live there and find shelter in its shade.
All trees in the land will know that I am the Lord.
I cut down the tall trees and make small trees grow tall
I wither up the green trees and make the dry trees become green.
I, the Lord, have spoken. I will do what I have said I would do.
Miracles big or small have happened here. Many a times we see sudden drops of sprinkling water, people getting rid of pains and diseases, becoming free from bondage of the evil sprits just by looking at the cross and lot more miracles going on here. He has various ways to lead us to him. To prove this He has chosen the Holy Hill to be his dwelling place.
It was when Fr Vaz was a parish priest at Ullal Panir church, some deviant people plotted to eliminate him and one night they requested him to inunct a dying person. Fr Joseph readily agreed and set out to visit the sick person with them. As they were approaching the deserted area on the hill, they tried to kill him. Fr Joseph suddenly hit his stick to the ground, knelt down and prayed, it was then water sprang from the hard rock on the top of the hill. People who came to eliminate him said to have fled the place with fear and these three little springs still bear the witness to this miracle because a 60 feet well dug near to these ponds has no traces of water!
Mudipu hill is a place of great importance which has a special history behind it. Rev.Fr. Joseph Vaz, born in Goa in the year 1651, April 21, worked in the Diocese of Mangalore from the year 1681 to 1684 and reached Mudipu preaching the Good News. He went house to house teaching catechism and serving the poor and the marginalized. This brought great joy to the people and was eagerly looking forward to his coming. But some people were against him and were trying to destroy him and his work. The place where they tried to harm him and kill him for his faith is marked even today upon the hill at Mudipu. Even today the faithful visit this place with great reverence and devotion. Later Fr. Joseph Vaz went to Sri Lanka and died there. For his virtues and the kind of life he led, he was made venerable in 1989 and now the “Blessed” in 1995.
INFANT JESUS SHRINE
3-13-1246, Infant Jesus Shrine, Carmel Hill
Bikarnakatte, Mangalore – 575005, Karnataka, INDIA
0824 – 2211124 / 2221144
The Infant Jesus has been honored with a magnificent shrine at Carmel Hill, Mangalore. The architectural structure and design of the newly inaugurated shrine is unique in many ways. Carefully planned, it has a rich symbolic meaning and significance derived principally from Biblical themes, of both the old and the new testaments.